Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Stuck in the Psychedelic Era's "lost" episodes

As many of you know, Stuck in the Psychedelic Era has been available, for the past ten years, as a syndicated show through PRX, the Public Radio Exchange. Every week the show segments get uploaded to PRX, along with a little background information, where they then remain available for any station that wants to air the show to download for broadcast. Once a show is uploaded to PRX, it remains there indefinitely.

Well, almost. You see, when I first started syndicating Stuck in the Psychedelic Era I didn't really understand how things worked. In fact, I didn't even start going through PRX until the fourth episode. Instead I had stations download from the hermitradio.com website, which was excruciatingly slow, even after the files had been converted to MP3. In fact, it was Mike Black at WXXI (the station that programs both WITH and WRUR) that suggested I look into PRX. Apparently he found the download process excruciating as well.

Anyway, I didn't realize at first that when I started running short of cloud space on the PRX server I could just ask for more space and they would happily provide it. Instead, I ended up deleting the first dozen shows I uploaded to make room for more shows. These, along with the first three episodes, are what I refer to as the Stuck in the Psychedelic Era "lost" episodes. Technically they are not truly lost, since I do have my own archived copies, but since they are not on PRX anymore, they are, for all intents and purposes, unavailable.

So why am I telling you about this? Well, as a little something extra for our ten years of syndication anniversary celebration, I dug out my archived copy of our second ever syndicated episode (#1002) and will be broadcasting it Thursday, May 28, from Noon to 2PM Eastern Daylight Time on WHWS, 105.7 in Geneva, NY. For those of you outside the WHWS broadcast area (which is essentially anywhere but Geneva itself), you can catch it at https://whws.fm/listen/ Thursday at Noon Eastern. See if you can tell how the show has changed over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment